Wednesday, March 4, 2009

I need to start reading again...


I was furiously searching for Almost French, this novel I red about 5 or 6 years ago when I was in Melbourne. My lovely fun-spirited cousin, Bianca recommended me the book and just last week when I was in London, my other cousin, Melissa from the other side of the famille told me about it. And ever since that I always picture myself as that girl holding a clear glass of d'eau minerale standing by the balcony like the cover of the book. It was a lovely read at that time but now I'm in Paris and I wanted to read the book again to relate my own experience with Sarah Turnbull the writer. Don't misunderstood me though, my reason and her reason of going to Paris is totally different. So last night I was searching for English bookshops in Paris and there were about ten, four in other areas and six in the 6 arrondissement, and since my favourite area is Saint-Germain, I decided to start at 6eme. The first bookshop I tried by was Village Voice Bookshop, a highly recommended bookshop carrying international books especially from the UK and America. And by chance or shall I say near-fate I found the book I was looking for and it was the last one. It has a different cover and a bit expensive for the price (12.60E) but my mind was set already and I knew if I didn't get it, I will regret it. Another wonderful thing, I found a book by Ernest Hemingway titled A Moveable Feast about his time in Paris. He is one of Americas top novelist, his books are now considered classics American Literature as quoted in many articles. He was one of the most famous expatriates novelists in Paris amongst others like Henry Miller, Gertrude Stein and F. Scott Fitzgerald (The Lost Generation group).


"If you are lucky enough to have lived in Paris as a young man, then wherever you go for the rest of your life, it stays with you, for Paris is a moveable feast" ERNEST HEMINGWAY to a friend, 1950 (as quoted on the 1st page of his book)

No comments: